Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower with browned butter

I am very lucky in the sense that DH loves veggies. When we started dating, all he ate was corn and green beans, but now enjoys a wide variety of veggies. But I'm starting to get tired of the same old things cooked the same old way. So when I saw this recipe, I knew we would like it. I saw it in someone's blog, I apologize that I don't remember who. Click here for the original recipe.

Roasted cauliflower has a savory caramelized crust and is tender and creamy inside. The roasting process coaxes maximum flavor from the cauliflower. Aaron finds this preparation intriguing, yet simple.

6 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 head) I used 1 small bag of cauliflower florets and 1 small bag of broccoli florets, both frozen
Cooking spray I used olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons butter I used an entire stick
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon parsley

PreparationPreheat oven to 400°.
Arrange veggies in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray (olive oil). Coat cauliflower with cooking spray (olive oil); sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes, turning veggies twice.

Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat; cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add parsley and garlic powder, I also added a little more salt and pepper. Combine veggies and browned butter in a bowl, and toss gently to coat.

These were very good. I usually just steam broccoli and cauliflower and toss with a butter and vinegar sauce, but we like this much better. I would also like to try with squash.

1 comment:

Ally said...

Yum, I love roasted broccoli!